My Newest Project


So, I decided that in order to manage my myriad craft projects, I should have my very own room. After weighing costs, labor, and simple design options, I decided to purchase a structurally-sound but in-need-of-cosmetic-restoration travel trailer.

After a fair amount of searching, I happened across this 27-foot 1966 Avion. As you can see, she’s in pretty good shape for her age. She appears to be water-tight (no leaks in the rain), so really, all she will need is some electrical work (which I will have to learn), and interior design.

My goal is not to restore her to original condition, but to reconfigure her to my needs as a craft room and office space for myself. I do plan to keep at least some appliances and plumbing, but they are very low on my list of needs.

I look forward to sharing my progress with the world through this blog.

Getting Started

Well, I got a ‘key’ part of the project done today

The caravan can now be properly secured. It took a little ingenuity (known as a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer), but I was able to pop out the old lock tumbler (which had no key) and install a new one. As a bonus, my new custom keychain arrived, too.

Why the delay, you ask? Well, the day my new tumbler arrived in the mail, I decided to slice potatoes with my new mandoline…

…and managed to do some damage to my index finger. So I had to wait a couple weeks before I could get anything done. Happily, other than looking weird (which I suspect it will until my nail grows back properly), it is now fine.

So, back to the project. I’m going to measure everything out to generate my own blue print of sorts, so I have an idea what I need to get as I progress. To do this, I’m effectively dividing the trailer into three parts: the front area, the galley (which is where most of the storage currently is, and likely will be), and the ‘bedroom’. Note I will leave out the bathroom for the moment, as it is a fairly low priority for me.

So, armed with graph paper and a tape measure, I started on the first part.

I pulled off the lovely cushions on the front sofa to reveal three storage cubbies – two under the seat and one in the back.

Also, the entire board slides out (to become another sleeping space). In doing so, I revealed this tank. Not sure what it is at the moment. More research is obviously needed on that. I’m not removing it unless I find it absolutely necessary, though.

Moving these panels also revealed more electrical things that I will need to figure out.

Speaking of electrical things, I got some research materials yesterday.

So more measuring (the galley next) and some ‘light’ reading to come.

The ‘Before’ Gallery

Here are some pictures of the interior, in purchased condition. While it is showing its age, much of this will be saved and/or used to make replacements.

Check out the gorgeous upholstery. Yeah, not keeping that…

No, you’re not imagining it, and there’s nothing wrong with your screen… the sink and stove really are pink.

The refrigerator is not original – the previous owner said it’s about 9 years old, and was working when he pulled it out of his 5th wheel and installed it here (though it’s not been powered-up in this trailer).

The back “bedroom” with two twin beds.

The long mirror is actually mounted on the bathroom door. Currently, the bathroom has no toilet, but I could easily replace it. It also has a small sink and a shower.

I hope to keep at least one of these two beds, as there’s a fair amount of storage under them (and that’s where the water tank lives, I believe).  If I remove one bed, it will likely become a couch that can fold out into a bed – like a futon.

Some of the cabinetry at the ends of the beds is new, and some original.  Lots and lots of storage space.

The view from the back to the front. It’s really fairly spacious.

Tomorrow, I’m getting out there with a tape measure and I’m going to start designing and planning on paper.